Wednesday 28 March 2012

Tiramisu


At long last!...
My first tiramisu.
I had quite of a problem what kind of alcohol to use, because the recipe involved Marsala wine - which I didn't have. I knew you can also use amaretto - which I didn't have - and some of my firends use rum - which I, again, didn't have. (I don't seem to have been much prepared now, do I?) But then I found a note somewhere in the internet that dry Marsala wine can be substituted with regular dry wine with a bit of vodka. There you go! (I know it's far from ideal, but...).
Anyway, here it comes!
(Recipe from Cooking from above. Italian. by Laura Zavan.)

Serves: makes 4-6. Preparation: 42 min. Refrigeration: 2 h.

Equipment:
- rectangular serving dish,
- 2 bowls,
- mixer,
- whist,
- spoon :)

Ingredients:
- 250g mascarpone,
- 20-30 ladyfingers/savoiardi sponge cakes,
- 3 eggs,
- 3 tbsp sugar,
- 4 espresso cups of hot espresso :),
- 3 tbsp dry Marsala wine (or 2 tbsp dry white wine + 1 tbsp vodka),
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder,
- pinch of salt,
- 1 tsp almond extract (optional)

Method:
Prepare the espresso (do not drink it ;)).
In the meantime separate the egg whites and yolks - pour the whites into a small bowl, and the yolks into a bigger one.
Add sugar to the yolks and beat them until smooth.
Add the wine, (vodka, and almont extract) and stir.
Gradually, spoon after spoon, mix in the mascarpone, until smooth and creamy.
Put the mixture in the fridge.
Beat the egg whites until stiff.
Add the beaten egg whites to the mascarpone mixture and carefully stir with a whisk.
Spread two tablespoons of the mixture on the bottom of the dish.
Soak the ladyfingers in the espresso and place them as one layer in the dish.
Cover them with half of the mascarpone mixture. 
Make another sponge cake layer and cover it with the rest of the mascarpone mix.
Put into the fridge for abou 2 h.
Sprinkle with cocoa powder before serving.

And enjoy your dolce vita ;)...


No comments:

Post a Comment